VALENTINE DIASPORA
It is once again time, that time
when lovers feel they should appreciate their loved ones and cherish them with
all the love they feel they should offer. Of course to some people any one
could be their valentine. It could be your lover, friend, mother, father, sister;
I could go on and on and wouldn’t exhaust the kind people would want to share
their valentines day with. The list is endless.
People would prefer to
concentrate on their lovers since the fuss around this time is always about
them. It is that time when the paparazzi follows the celebrity lovers hitched
and unhitched to keep close tabs on what they are up to on this special occasion.
It is also that time when our dailies choose to provide tips on what presents, gifts,
venues, menus, fashion wear the celebrants of this day should bear in mind to
make the day special and worthy. In my opinion people have blown the day
totally out of proportion by turning it in to a business venture let alone the corporate entities that are using the day to make money out of people by
offering various kinds of promotions to
which the public hurriedly jumps at simply because they feel that it is a day
worth celebrating. I simply prefer thinking of it as a waste of time.
Now the other day I was sited in a taxi heading home. Being some one who loves “lugambo” I was as usual eavesdropping on a conversation between the two ladies who were sited next to me. One of them was fussing over what she would get her boyfriend. Her reasons were she was broke and come what may she had to get a present even if it was to borrow some money. Now I started wondering why she was torturing her self over such an issue as if they were no other days. I asked my self if she specifically had to give the present to her boyfriend on Valentines Day and not any other day and if not what would happen if she didn’t.
Why should presents be remembered
on this day and not any other day? Will your loved one walk away if you didn’t provide
a present? Does it pose as a measurement for the love you both share? Are you
giving him the present because you “want” to or because it is just a special
day? That’s right “want to” some thing people have forgotten must be
considered. Now if you cant answer the few questions above then you are totally
deluding yourself in love.
If you asked me I personally find
no purpose in this day. Now I would not mind if some one said I am jealous. May
be I am and may be am not, after all I have never really put so much effort in
to this day let alone considered it to be a very special one. Blame it on fate
or blame it on apathy, it does not matter.
The point is let us not forget
why “Man” put this day on the calendar and the reason for its existence.
Comments
Post a Comment